Personal Care Products And Drinking Water Destroying Fertility
I have made this claim before, via other articles, my ebook and in my Fertile Lifestyle programmes and seminars – this information is not new but the scientific research behind it re-enforcing the importance of removing toxins from our life if we want to preserve fertility.
A friend who is very familiar and supportive of the work I do and the importance of my fertility education programmes showed me the information (in shaded section below) that was posted on FaceBook. Written by Tom Mower, owner and director of Sisel International on 7th April 2015, I felt his research was too valuable not to share so as to help your fertility and pregnancy journey.
The motivation for me writing this article is due to my research driven findings that:
your toxic exposure could be the only reason why you are not falling pregnant and seeing your pregnancy through to full term.
Toxins also effect the health of eggs, sperm and your baby’s genetics.
Do you drink recycled toilet water?
If you drink tap water in countries where governments provide recycled toilet water (in the UK, US, Australia is following suit too) it means you are consuming recycled pharmaceuticals, hormones from other drugs, fake hormone stimulating ingredients from plastic packaging and a cocktail of toxic chemicals from body wash products, fluoride toothpastes, etc.
What goes on your skin gets directly absorbed into your bloodstream
Not only is your water polluted but you may be unknowingly continuing to poison your organs by applying toxins from bathroom products and cosmetics directly onto your skin. We’ll come back to this topic in more detail, but first let’s recap on the vital importance of how hormones function.
Role of hormones
Hormones are chemicals secreted by your endocrine system so your body can carry out fundamental physiological functions. They control the rates of certain chemical reactions, assist in regulating water balance, electrolyte balance, blood pressure. They also influence our feelings, behaviour, development, growth and reproduction.
You are probably most familiar with the role of sex hormones such as testosterone and oestrogen which govern the function of the reproductive system. But no system works in isolation, each system and part affects the whole so your metabolism, digestive system and cardiovascular system are also affected by how well your endocrine system is functioning.
How toxic chemicals affect hormones
There are several toxic chemicals out there, that we come into contact with nowadays on a daily basis that tell the brain to produce hormones – even when we don’t need them produced. It is this overproduction of “fake” hormones (xeno-oestrogens) that triggers issues with adrenal glands, thyroid gland, etc. which have a direct effect on fertility. (Read more about this via my previous article here).
Personal care products are the greatest hormone disruptor
The toxic chemicals we put on our skin via personal care products create oestrogen dominance, this is because you are much more likely to absorb xeno-oestrogens through your skin than with your diet (which is essentially more dangerous because when you ingest toxins as they go through a filtration and detoxification process in the liver).
Therefore learning to create a fertile lifestyle in which you know what toxins to avoid – even to go as far as only wearing organic clothing is essential.
Why? The toxic chemicals that are in contact with our skin get absorbed straight into the bloodstream and these chemicals not only disrupt your fertility but your mental health, emotions and more.
Via Awakening Fertility’s Fertile Lifestyle Programme we recommend clients purchase organic clothing made from fibres such as hemp, cotton and bamboo.
Brands such as Asquith (clothing pictured above) are an ethical company and I have worn their products for years, check them out here.
Living A Hormone Health Lifestyle
Watch David Wolfe’s Video from the Women’s Wellness Conference: Hormone Health Protocol
How do you know if your products are toxic?
Supermarket brand products are toxic, Boots and Superdrug brands are toxic.
If you can not understand the list of ingredients it is most likely because you do not have a science degree to understand the chemical preservatives.
Below is the essential list to ensure you do not use:
- Aluminium – used in deodorants, linked to cancer, Alzheimer’s Disease (shrinking of the brain) and hormonal disruptions
- Benzoates – used as a preservative in food and body care products, linked to cancer
- Benzoic Acid – used as a preservative in food and body care products, linked to cancer
- BHA – used as a preserving agent in makeup and moisturising
- BHT– used as a preserving agent in makeup and moisturising
- Coal Tar Dies – used in make-up, look for CI+ a 5 digit number, e.g. CI57000
- DEA – in moisturises and shampoos
- Diazolidinyl urea – releases formaldehyde and used in cosmetics
- Dibutylphthalate – found in nail products and is especially bad for reproductive system and endocrine system (which governs the whole hormonal system)
- DMDM hydantoin – releases formaldehyde and used in cosmetics
- FD&C “No.1” or FD&C “Blue” – die used in make-up
- Imidazolidinyl urea – releases formaldehyde and used in cosmetics
- MEA – in moisturises and shampoos
- Methenamine – releases formaldehyde and used in cosmetics
- Methicone – used in anything that softens and moistens skin or hair
- Parabens – used in cosmetics (which specifically interfere with hormone production)
- Parfum – fragrance added to anything
- PEG – used in cosmetics and creams
- Petrolatum – used in hair products
- Quarternium-15 – releases formaldehyde and used in cosmetics
- Siloxanes – used in anything that softens or moisturises
- Sodium Laureth Sulphate/Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS) – used as a frothing agent in shampoos, body wash, etc. (Also in Canasten consumable capsule to do not take it!)
- TEA – in moisturises and shampoos
- Triclosan – anti-bacterial used in toothpastes, make-up, various cosmetics
THESE ENDOCRINE DISRUPTING CHEMICALS ARE IN THE PERSONAL CARE PRODUCTS YOU USE EVERY DAY!!!
Want a lifestyle guide to keep you healthy, radiant and glowing inside and out?
Awakening Fertility has teamed up with RKLifeStyled so you can claim your free copy of “How To Get The Perfect Body Naturally” by Renee Kacz, click the image below to register for your copy:
Water is a secondary source.
You and your loved ones directly apply them to your body and those of your loved ones from hair shampoo, conditioners, toothpaste, skin lotions, hand dishwashing soap and cosmetics.
These personal care products are the single greatest source of putting endocrine disruptors directly into your blood system. Girls are over developed now, entering puberty 4-5 years earlier than ever in history. Sperm Count in men are down from 100,000 units per ml in 1950 to 5,000 units today. Homosexuality is rampant and may be driven by these products that mothers use when they are pregnant. They cross over the placenta and affect the developing fetus. Once born the children are subject to these powerful feminizing chemicals.
Men are not the men they once were and women are over driven with cancers and heart attack rates increasing much faster then men’s. All this primarily driven by the products they use but are not aware are powerful brain and sex altering chemicals.
There are a few good brands around that do not have these ingredients and neither do they have toxic packaging, e.g. “Sisel Safe” and others listed at the end of this article.
Read this report on British coastal water:
Human waste blamed for turning one in 10 of Britain’s male clams into females
Almost one in 10 male clams found around the English coast has developed feminine features, a phenomenon blamed on hormone-disrupting pollutants found in pharmaceuticals, cosmetic and personal care products that enter the sewage system and from other waste.
Researchers, who tested more than 3,000 adult clams from locations along the English Channel coast and neighboring areas, found that 8.6 per cent of male clams had evidence of both ovarian and testicular tissue. Six out of 10 sites had the so-called “intersexed” clams.
“The widespread and elevated occurrences… far exceed the occasional or accidental levels seen in other species,” say the researchers, from the Marine Biological Association, Plymouth and the University of Le Havre.
Clams, mussels, oysters and scallops are bivalves. They inhabit the sediment in estuaries, which acts as a long-term reservoir for pollutants. These invertebrates are at the bottom of the food chain – so the adverse effects of pollutants may have implications for other species.
The aim of the new three-year study, reported in the Marine Pollution Bulletin, was to investigate how widespread the abnormal development was. Results show that 58 per cent of sites have found intersex males.
The researchers said: “Future research should focus on the biological mechanisms of action, the causative chemicals, their relative potency and interactions.”
In other research, intersex has been used as a biological indicator of the impact of so-called endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs), which interfere with the hormones that are responsible for the regulation of development and other processes.
Several studies have linked intersex, or other measures of endocrine disruption in invertebrates, to effluent from sewage works. Feminization of male freshwater fish exposed to EDCs from sewage treatment works and other sources has been found.
Serious About Cleaning Your Act Up?
Note: I was not endorsed by Sisel to publish this article and am in no way suggesting Sisel products are the only solution. There are many good brands on the market that sell non-toxic personal care products and a few have been listed below:
Clean Living (Non-toxic) Products
- Aloe Dent is a nice tasting/textured toothpaste from any health food store and some progressive pharmacies (not Boots etc)
- Red Seal, a New Zealand brand is my personal favourite
Body Wash & Moisturisers
- Colloidal Body Wash/Moisturisers – My own brand made for me in Scotland in glass bottles so there is no contamination from the plastic – keeps the xenon-oestrogens away (i.e. prevents over production of oestrogen in the body). They are £45.00 for 500mL
- Intelligent Harmonics
- Faith in Nature – Cheapest of the lot (around £7.00)
- Jasons – More established brand (around £15.00)
- Faith in Nature
- Intelligent Harmonics – (My favourite!)
Did you see this video?
Other Topics Worth Reading:
About the author:
Fiona Boulton is a Fertility Specialist
(An expert in her field since 2007) and leader in Fertility Mind Mastery, Fertility Meditation, Fertility Yoga and Fertility Coaching –
helping people take back control of their fertility, faster.
Fiona is the founder of Awakening Fertility – Harley Street (Harley Street Fertility Clinic), London; Concept Fertility Putney; Chichester, West Sussex and Perth, Australia
- Huffington Post Fertility Writer
- Fertility Coach
- Fertility Support Group Co-ordinator for Harley Street Fertility Clinic and Infertility Network UK
- Nutrition Counsellor
- Public Speaker
- QiYoga® Founder
- Fertility Yoga Teacher Trainer (RYS 200)
- Fertile Lifestyle Motivator
- Fertility Support Group Facilitator
- Fertility Practitioner Training Co-ordinator
Through Fiona’s “transformation guaranteed” Fertile Lifestyle courses, Fiona helps navigate major transitions to detox your mind and body to help you effectively ‘think yourself fertile’; to change the map your mind has of your body and therefore change your physiology by clearing mental and emotional blockages to having your baby. Fiona’s work focuses on you taking back control by changing the internal and external environment of your cells so you can improve chances of fertility success.
Book your fertility consultation from the comfort of your home or come to the Harley Street Fertility Clinic for a transformative session with Awakening Fertility founder Fiona Boulton, here.
You have answered so many questions for me and my partner – such an informative article, thanks!
Thanks for shedding new light on this topic – my partner and I had no idea. Perhaps this explains our “UNEXPLAINED INFERTILITY”??
This article has rocked my world – for the better. Time for some changes I see.
Thanks again Fiona :)
Much appreciated – thanks for shedding light on the value of not drinking tap water and why the supermarket products most of us have been buying for years are impacting our health and fertility.
Thanks for the comprehensive list highlighting what we are best to avoid putting on our skin. I have some products that I am not sure I should continue to use… Can you help me?
Sure can. Just take a pic of the label and email it through to me: email@example.com
Right! All those products with the nasty ingredients have been thrown out! Off to the health food store for new products. Are all the health food store products safe?
Unfortunately they are not all safe :(
So, print off the list and double check the ingredients before you buy it. Or if you don’t have time, stick to the brands I recommended and get it online
I like the fact you have added a few more to the list – now there are 24 ingredients to be avoided.
I love the fact you have included the free ebook from RKLifeStyled.com – what a cool bonus!
Now I am inspired to check out Renee Kacz and her site http://www.RKLifeStyled.com :D
The Asquith lounge wear range looks great. I had no idea that non-organic clothing was so toxic and that putting toxins on your skin was even worse than eating them.
I am definitely investing in a chemical free life and going to get a few items… Looks like they have regular promos and giveaways which is even better!!
This is mind blowing stuff.
Im blown away.
This is such a shock… But a good one. Thank you!!!
I have changed my lifestyle completely. Previously I had read about this in ‘The Baby Making Bible’, but never actually made all the changes. I now drink mineral water from glass bottles, use all organic produce and use all organic and natural produce on my skin and I feel so healthy and amazing. It has made a huge difference.
I have managed to switch all my skin products to organic ones. The only one I can’t find is nail varnish! Are there any brands of nail varnish that are non-toxic that you would recommend using?
There are lots of brands out there that say they are all-natural or non-toxic, but there are three ingredients you are looking to avoid:
1. Dibutyl phthalate (DBP)
2. Formaldehyde (yes, seriously. In your nail polish.)
These three have been linked to problems ranging from skin irritation in people to birth defects in animals.
Polishes that exclude all three of the above-listed chemicals:
1. Piggy Paint, non-toxic, odorless, kid-friendly, kid-colored, water-based formula.
2. Honeybee Gardens, an alternative to solvent-based nail polish, water-based, odorless, removes with rubbing alcohol.
3. No-Miss, does not contain the three-to-avoid above, and also does not contain camphor.
4. Acquarella, water-based system of nail polish, conditioner, remover and moisturizer.
5. Suncoat, water-based nail polish that has been recognized and honored from the Canadian Health Food Association Expo.
6. Gaiam, Created by New York City’s first organic spa, our non toxic nail polish is free of known carcinogens.
7. Peacekeeper Cause-Metics, created by the Environmental Working Group as the safest paint-based natural nail polish.
8. Sante, created without the use of formaldehydes, toluene, and colophony rosin.
9. Nubar, carcinogen-free nail care products.
10. Safe Nail Polish, non-toxic, oderless, made in the USA.
11. Priti, non-toxic, made without the evil-three and all known carcinogenic ingredients.
12. Spa Ritual, vegan nail lacquers.
Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/non-toxic-nail-polish.html#ixzz3clogdnCd
Thank you ;)
Who ever knew!?
Why is life getting so complicated with all these toxic chemicals.
Thanks to your site I know I can stay optimally healthy – you have so many extensive articles, I love it!!
You are welcome Kimara :)
Glad you are enjoying them.
Such great content. I have shared this article with so many friends and family members!
I have a body care product by a famous organic company that does not animal test (which is essential for any product I buy)… However, it has these chemicals in them… Is it safe for fertility?
1. Polyglyceryl-2-dipoly… = Made from Glycerine (plant derivative)
2. Polyglyceryl-3-stearate = A) Poly = many and glyceryl = glycerine. Basically this is a polymer (or lots of) glycerine molecules that have been joined together to create a moisturising effect. The Stearate is the fatty acid component enabling the molecules to “join up.” In this case, 3 molecules.
3. Hydroxystearate = Do you mean Hydroxystearic Acid? There are many warnings associated with Hydroxystearic Acid. It has been shown to have carcinogenic properties and studies conducted in 1970 showed tumor development in mice*. In a study done by Thomas Global, repeated or prolonged contact with Hydroxystearic Acid could cause skin irritation, which may lead to various skin disorders like dermatitis.(*source:http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient.php?ingred06=702641&refurl=/product.php?prod_id=40601&¬hanks=1)
4. Glycerine = See above.
5. Sodium Stearol = Sodium stearoyl lactylate (SSL) is a food additive in processed foods. The only tests done on this say it can cause an allergic reaction if people’s immune systems are oversensitive and in that case, worst case scenario could result in death – but this would be rare.
6. Sodium Benzoate = This is a chemical preservative I have been keen to avoid since 2003! It was one of the first chemical preservatives I learnt about. This preservative is ACCUMULATIVE in the body, it causes cancer and is known to kill healthy cells. Read more – http://www.naturalnews.com/033726_sodium_benzoate_cancer.html#
Side effects of Sodium Benzoate include:
Agitation, anxiety, bleeding, blistering, burning, coldness, discoloration of the skin, feeling of pressure, hives, infection, inflammation, itching, lumps, numbness, pain, rash, redness, scarring, soreness, stinging, swelling, tenderness, tingling, ulceration, or warmth at the injection site.
Hope that helps!
This is fascinating stuff!
What is Tocopherol and Tocopheryl Acetate? It is in lots of my body care products? Is it safe?
Tocopherol and Tocopheryl Acetate is Vitamin E – very moisturising. Yes it is safe and it works. :)
What about PEG-40 and Polysorbate?
Any “PEG” ingredients are to be avoided! Please refer to the recommended reading articles linked to this post.
PEG-40 is supremely toxic! It is classified as hazardous and linked to all kinds of cancer and is a reproductive toxin! (Can create fertility issues!!)
Polysorbate 80 is linked to serious side effects (eg, blood clots, stroke, heart attack, heart failure) and in some cases death.
Polysorbate 20 is also best to be avoided. Read here fore more info: http://www.annmariegianni.com/ingredient-watch-list-polysorbate-20-it-may-be-contaminated-with-carcinogenic-14-dioxane/
I hope you don’t mind but I want to check with you a few ingredients of products I sometimes use to see if they are ok.
Potassium acetyl phosphate is in my natural, plant based facial cleanser… is it safe for fertility when trying to conceive?
Although potassium acetyl phosphate is not considered dangerous, it is an irritant so to be used sparingly, see more here –
Great delivery. Great arguments. Keep up the good effort.
Love all your articles Fiona, really appreciate all your time and effort to support me and all your other clients TTC
[…] Personal Care Products And Drinking Water Destroying Fertility – Read here […]